This reinvented lasagna turned out decadently light – perfect for a summer dinner – and the vegan cheese is surprisingly cheesy! It can be served as a side dish or as a main course.
- 4 small zucchini, sliced
- ¾ cup (6oz) shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (*choose a product with less than 250mg of sodium per serving that does not contain phosphate or potassium additives – the nutritional analysis for this recipe was completed using such a product)
- 2 Tbsp (2 oz) parmesan cheese, grated (omit or replace for a vegan option)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Wash and trim the zucchini, and cut into slices using a mandolin. Season with pepper and set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil. Add minced garlic and zucchini slices, and sauté for 4 minutes or until slightly softened.
- In a greased medium sized baking pan add 1 layer of zucchini slices. Top with a layer of shredded vegan cheese.
- Continue alternating layers of ingredients, ending with a top layer of zucchini slices woven into a criss-cross formation. Top with grated parmesan cheese and fresh thyme.
- Cook for 15 minutes on center rack, and broil on high until topping is golden brown.
- Calories: 110 KCal
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fibre: 2 g
- Total Fat: 8 g
- Sodium: 170 mg
- Phosphorus: 42 mg
- Potassium: 230 mg
Servings per recipe: 6
Serving size: 1/2 Cup
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup