Make this recipe ahead of time, freeze in portions and bake when you don’t have the energy to cook.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup (250 ml) green beans, cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pieces or 1 cup frozen green peas.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola oil
- 2 skinless and boneless chicken breast halves, cut into cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped parsley
- 4 oz (115 g) frozen phyllo dough, thawed and cut into 1/4-inch (1/2-cm) thick slices (see note)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) canola oil
- Pepper to taste
With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350 °F.
In a saucepan, soften the onion, carrots, and green beans/peas in the oil for about 8 minutes over medium heat.
Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned. Season with pepper or other spices. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Sprinkle with the flour and stir to combine. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil, stirring with a whisk. Simmer gently for 2 to 3 minutes.
Add the cauliflower and parsley and stir well. Adjust the seasoning. Pour into a 15-cm (6-inch) square baking dish. Set aside.
On a baking sheet, spread the strips of phyllo dough and drizzle with the oil. Toss gently. Scatter lightly over the vegetable mixture, without pressing. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
Calories: 358 KCal
Protein: 21 g
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Fibre: 2.3 g
Total Fat: 21 g
Sodium: 188 mg
Phosphorus: 187 mg
Potassium: 432 mg
Servings per recipe: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
2 protein, 1 starch, 1 veg