Here’s a low potassium version of the classic Canadian stew.
- 1 slice 1.10 lbs (500 g) boneless beef blade, fat removed
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) whole-grain mustard
- 2 cups turnip, cubed
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or beef broth
In a skillet, brown the meat on both sides in the oil. Place in the slow cooker. Set aside.
In the same skillet, brown the onion and garlic.
Deglaze with 1 cup low sodium chicken or beef broth and add the mustard. Pour into the slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or until the meat is fork-tender. Adjust the seasoning.
- Calories: 185 KCal
- Protein: 17 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fibre: 2.3 g
- Total Fat: 8.7 g
- Sodium: 153 mg
- Phosphorus: 184 mg
- Potassium: 542 mg
Servings per recipe: 8
Serving size: 1 1/4 cup
2 protein, 2 vegetables
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup