This dish has restaurant quality flavour – I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a vegetarian dish!
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 package, 454g, Tofu, medium firm prepared with calcium sulfate, cut in 1 inch squares
- 1 small eggplant
- 4 scallions sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 red serrano or jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1. Cook rice according to package instructions
2. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in nonstick skillet. Add tofu; turn occasionally until brown approx. 10 minutes. Transfer to plate.
3. Add remaining oil. Add vegetables, cook until tender. Add sauce and then tofu, etc. Toss until sauce is thickened. Serve with rice and topped with basil.
- Calories: 374 KCal
- Protein: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 36 g
- Fibre: 3 g
- Total Fat: 20 g
- Sodium: 137 mg
- Phosphorus: 160 mg
- Potassium: 250 mg
Servings per recipe: 4
Serving size: 1/2 cooked rice, 1/3 cup tofu, 1/2 cup vegetables
Renal exchanges: 1 protein, 2 starch, 1 vegetable
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup