If low sodium tuna is unavailable, use regular tuna, drain well and rinse with water in a sieve for 1 minute.
Freeze leftover casserole in individual portion sizes and use at a time when you have no time or energy to prepare a meal.
- 6 ½ oz (195 g) tuna, low sodium
- 3 cups (750 mL) white rice, cooked
- 1 cup (250 mL) cheddar cheese
- 3 oz (90 g) cream cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) sour cream
- ½ cup (125 mL) onion, chopped
- 1/8tsp (½ mL) garlic powder
- ½ tsp(2 mL) basil
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Combine tuna, rice and cheddar cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into a shallow, greased baking dish.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Stir in sour cream, onion, garlic powder and basil; spoon over tuna mixture.
- Cover dish with foil.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and top with tomato slices.
- Return to oven for 5 minutes and serve.
- Calories: 348 KCal
- Protein: 17 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fibre: 1 g
- Total Fat: 18.4 g
- Sodium: 203 mg
- Phosphorus: 272 mg
- Potassium: 293 mg
Servings per recipe: 6
Serving size: 1/6th
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup