To prepare the lentils:
- Soak the lentils in a bowl of water for 12 hours or more (do it before bedtime!)
- Then, get rid of the soaking water (now full of potassium), and rinse the legumes
- Place the rinsed lentils in a medium saucepan along with 3 cups of room temperature water. Turn the heat to medium and allow the lentils to cook for 20 minutes.
To prepare the seasonings:
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet set over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cinnamon stick or powder; cook for 60 to 90 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the onion, green chilli pepper, garlic, and ginger; cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until the onions are turn translucent.
- Add the turmeric, cardamom, paprika, salt and tomato to the pan. Cook until the tomato begins to fall apart, about 2 to 3 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick if using.
- Once the lentils are cooked, drain off any excess water, Stir the spiced onion mixture into the pot of lentils. Add the lemon juice and stir well.
- Garnish with cilantro; serve with basmati rice.