This was my grandmother’s recipe and shockingly there’s no salt in it. Unlike the traditional creamy dressings this one is very light-tasting. If you don’t have the time or energy to shred or chop the cabbage, buy the pre-shredded coleslaw blend available in your supermarket.
- 1 head cabbage, shredded or chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/3 cup white vinegar (or try with half white vinegar and half apple cider or raspberry vinegar)
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or less)
- 1 tsp celery seed
In small saucepan bring the dressing ingredients to a boil on high heat while stirring constantly. Remove from heat and pour over prepared vegetables.
Toss to mix, cover and refrigerate.
Salad is best if made early in the day or the night before and keeps well.
- Calories: 100 KCal
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fibre: 1.5 g
- Total Fat: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 17.5 mg
- Phosphorus: 20 mg
- Potassium: 206 mg
Servings per recipe: 12
Serving size: 1/2 cup
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup
2 thoughts on “My Favorite Coleslaw Recipe”
This is my favorite way of eating coleslaw not the creamy mayo kind and this recipe is good.
Glad you’re enjoying it!