Serve these meatballs with vegetables and noodles for a full meal. Or make smaller meatballs to serve with toothpick as fingerfood with a dipping sauce for a party.
2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup water
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon cold water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- Mix ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, onion, garlic powder and pepper in medium bowl.
- Using moistened hands, use mixture to form 18 meatballs.
- In a pan just large enough to hold the meatballs in one layer, pan fry the garlic and oil over medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the water and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Add the meatballs and cover.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Transfer the meatballs with a slotted spoon and keep them warm.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 teaspoon cold water and the cornstarch.
- Stir the cornstarch mixture into the broth mixture, and boil the sauce, stirring until it is thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and mix in parsley, stirring until the sauce in thoroughly combined.
- Return the meatballs to the pan and cook the mixture over low heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Calories: 358 KCal
- Protein: 30 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Total Fat: 23 g
- Sodium: 89 mg
- Phosphorus: 151 mg
- Potassium: 301 mg
Servings per recipe: 6 (18 meatballs total)
Serving size: 3 meatballs
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup