The roasted garlic in this recipe can be made ahead and kept in the fridge to use when needed. It is great to add to sauces, dips and even dressings.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons roasted garlic
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice, uncooked
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
For the roasted garlic:
- 4 large heads garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon herb vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Grease a covered casserole dish.
- Melt butter or margarine in a large saucepan.
- Add roasted garlic and onion in saucepan and cook over medium heat until soft.
- Add rice and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add broth and dried cranberries to rice mixture, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour into casserole dish, cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle parmesan cheese over the top.
- Serve immediately.
- For the roasted garlic:
- Remove the outer papery skin from garlic head.
- Slice off the bottom of garlic head (largest end) and separate the cloves, leaving the outer skins in place.
- Put the cloves in a shallow 8” square baking dish, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake at 350° F for about 20 minutes until the garlic is soft.
- Cool and remove the skins.
- In a food processor or blender, add garlic, pepper and vinegar.
- Process 30 seconds or until almost smooth, scraping sides occasionally.
- You can also mash by hand.
- Stores in fridge for up to 10 days.
Calories: 267 KCal
Protein: 8 g
Carbohydrates: 46 g
Fibre: 2 g
Total Fat: 7 g
Sodium: 100 mg
Phosphorus: 66 mg
Potassium: 184 mg
Servings per recipe: 4
Serving size: 3/4 cup