To help thicken, sprinkle in a little corn meal. Portion and freeze leftover chili for a quick meal later.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1-1/4 cups or 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or to taste
- 1 teaspoon bouquet garni
- 1 cup homemade beef stock or reduced-sodium beef stock
- 1-1/2 cups (14 ounce can) salt-free tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups hominy, drained and rinsed
- Brown beef in a Dutch oven.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Saute until onion is transparent.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Serve with warm bread, crackers or corn tortillas.
- Calories: 274 KCal
- Protein: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fibre: 2.3 g
- Total Fat: 14 g
- Sodium: 202 mg
- Phosphorus: 250 mg
- Potassium: 549 mg
Servings per recipe: 6
Serving size: 1 cup
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup