This recipe makes great individual portions that you can freeze and take out when you need a quick convenient meal.
For the cornbread topping:
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup skim or 1% milk
For the casserole filling:
- 1½ cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup diced red or green peppers
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup low sodium chicken or beef broth
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Heat a nonstick skillet to medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon canola oil.
Fry onion and peppers until tender and onions are opaque.
Add meat (turkey or beef) and brown meat until no longer pink.
Add frozen mixed vegetables into meat mixture and reduce heat to low.
Combine flour and broth and whisk until no lumps are showing.
Add broth mixture, black pepper and chili powder to skillet.
Bring to a boil stirring constantly until thickened.
Spray an 8″ x 8″ pan with non-stick spray and pour in meat mixture.
Prepare the cornbread topping by combining the dry ingredients from the topping list in a bowl, add the liquid ingredients and mix until blended.
Spread evenly over meat mixture.
Bake for 30 minutes until topping is golden brown.
- Calories: 333 KCal
- Protein: 19 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fibre: 3 g
- Total Fat: 15 g
- Sodium: 246 mg
- Phosphorus: 362 mg
- Potassium: 479 mg
Servings per recipe: 6
Serving size: 1/6th of the recipe
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup