Most chili recipes are loaded with salt and high potassium beans but this is a wonderfully fresh flavoured chili stew that needs no salt. Even better – it only takes about 30minutes to get on the table!
- 1lb chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 ½ cups cold chicken broth (use a “No Salt Added” brand)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
12 unsalted or low salt tortilla chips (optional)
In a large saucepan, heat 1/4 cup broth to boiling. Cook chicken in broth, stirring, until white (about 4-5 minutes). Remove chicken and set aside.
Cook garlic and jalapenos in broth over med-high heat stirring frequently (about 2 minutes). Stir in flour, turn heat to low and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Gradually add 2 cups of broth. Add chicken, red pepper, carrots, corn, pepper, cumin and cilantro and heat to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer approximately 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked all the way through.
Mix cornstarch in remaining 1/4cup of broth and stir into stew. Continue to cook, stirring often, until heated through and thickened. Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips and extra cilantro.
Option: Double up the broth and leave out the cornstarch for a warm and satisfying soup.
- Calories: 284 KCal
- Protein: 38 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fibre: 2.5 g
- Total Fat: 5 g
- Sodium: 119 mg
- Phosphorus: 358 mg
- Potassium: 659 mg
Servings per recipe: 4
Serving size: 2 cups
5 protein, 1 starch, 1 veg
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup