This is a great and simple recipe that can be easily modified according to your palate. Homemade chicken and rice soup is a great alternative to packaged or canned soup that are loaded with salt.
- 3 Cup Mirepoix:
- 1 Cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 Cup celery, diced
- 1 Cup baby carrot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Extra virgin oil
- ¾ Cup instant white rice, uncooked
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups No salt added chicken/vegetable broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
1. In a large pot, sautee onion, carrot, and celery in olive oil until softened
2. Add stock, rice, bay leaf, fresh thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil
3. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add cubed and cooked chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaf and add lime juice.
Calories: 160 g
Protein: 14 g
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Fibre: 2 g
Total Fat: 3 g
Sodium: 221 mg
Phosphorus: 90 mg
Potassium: 251 mg
Servings per recipe: 8
1 Carbohydrate choice