This is a great and simple recipe that can be easily modified according to your palate. Homemade chicken and rice soup is a great alternative to packaged or canned soup that are loaded with salt.
- 3 Cups Mirepoix:
- 1 Cup white onion, finely chopped
- 1 Cup celery, diced
- 1 Cup baby carrot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Extra virgin oil
- ¾ Cup instant white rice, uncooked
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups No salt added chicken/vegetable broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
1. In a large pot make the mirepoix by sautéing the onion, carrot, and celery in olive oil until softened
2. Add stock, rice, bay leaf, fresh thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil
3. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add cubed and cooked chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaf and add lime juice.
- Calories: 160 KCal
- Protein: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 19 g
- Fibre: 2 g
- Total Fat: 3 g
- Sodium: 221 mg
- Phosphorus: 90 mg
- Potassium: 251 mg
Servings per recipe: 8
1 Carbohydrate choice
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup