This open-faced sandwich is an excellent source of iron and zinc.
2 tbsp (30 mL), olive or vegetable oil
2 cups, sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup, sliced onion
1/4 cup, balsamic vinegar
200 grams, Beef inside round or Sirloin tip steak (1/3 cup per open sandwich)
Black pepper, ground
1 baguette (about 9″ long)
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/2 cup arugula
1. Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium heat; cook mushrooms, garlic and onion, stirring occasionally, until onion softens and water from mushrooms cooks off. Stir in balsamic vinegar; cook, stirring for 3 to 5 minutes or until vinegar is absorbed. Set aside.
2. Rub steak with pepper to your liking. Grill or pan-fry over medium-high heat on lightly oiled grill or pan for 3 to 4 minutes per side.
3. Slice steak thinly on the diagonal. Drape slices of steak on each baguette bottom piece. Top each with mushroom mixture, goat cheese and arugula. Makes 4 open sandwiches.
- Calories: 362 KCal
- Protein: 24 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fibre: 2 g
- Total Fat: 17 g
- Sodium: 356 mg
- Phosphorus: 228 mg
- Potassium: 365 mg
Servings per recipe: 4
Serving size: 1 open-faced sandwich
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup