680 g Boneless chicken pieces, skin removed (chicken breast preferred)
4 Cups Chicken stock/broth, no salt added
3 Cups Water
1 Onion large, chopped
2 Tbsp Canola oil
1 Tbsp Flour, all purpose
200g Potatoes, peeled and cubed (*Follow cooking procedure)
1 Tsp Black pepper, ground
½ Tsp Summer savory
2 Carrots, medium, peeled and sliced
2 Celery stalks, cut lengthwise and diced
1 Cup Flour, all purpose
¾ tsp Baking soda
1.5 tsp Cream of tartar
3/4 Cup Water, cold
*Potassium Leaching Method for Cooking Potatoes:
Using Fresh Potatoes:
- Peel potatoes
- Cut into strips (1.2 cm x 1.2cm) or dice (2 cm x 2 cm x 2 cm)
- Boil in water for 8 minutes
- Drain potatoes
- Add clean water and soak (12 hours if possible)
- Use as required
- This can be done the day or two before cooking
- In a large pot simmer the boneless chicken pieces in boiling stock/broth for 30 minutes.
- Remove pieces, save the cooking liquid and let the chicken cool slightly.
- In a separate pan, sweat onions, carrots and savory in oil for five minutes.
- Add the flour and stir for another 1-2 minutes. Add the cooking liquid. Bring to a boil to thicken and turn down to a simmer. Add remaining ingredients.
- As this is simmering, add meat to soup.
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- In a bowl mix flour, salt and baking powder.
- Gradually add cold water.
- Drop the mixture into the Fricot, a spoonful at a time and let sit 7 minutes before the Fricot is ready to serve. Fricot must be boiling before adding dumplings or they will sink to the bottom.
- Calories: 245.3 KCal
- Protein: 24.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 22 g
- Fibre: 2 g
- Total Fat: 5.9 g
- Sodium: 213.6 mg
- Phosphorus: 221.63 mg
- Potassium: 567.54 mg
Servings per recipe: 8
Serving size: 263 g
3.5 protein choices
1.5 starch choices
3 vegetable choices
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup