- Wash rice in a bowl by massaging and mixing the rice with your hands, then drain the water and repeat this step 3 times until the water becomes clear
- Boil water in a pot on high heat
- Julienne ginger into thin slices and then into strips. Then, chop green onion into small pieces
- Using a different cutting board, cut chicken into thin slices about ½ cm thickness and place it in a bowl to marinade
- Add oyster sauce, cornstarch, chicken powder, and water into bowl and mix the chicken for about 30 seconds until there is no liquid left
- Add vegetable oil to the bowl and mix it with chopsticks for another 30 seconds. Set it aside and let it marinade for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once the water is boiling, add the rice, lightly stir the rice around the pot, cover the pot with a lid and wait until it starts boiling again (about 2 mins)
- Once the pot is boiling again, partially cover the pot and turn the heat to medium to let it cook for 30 mins. DO NOT STIR THE RICE, otherwise it will stick to the bottom of the pot.
- After 30 mins, whisk rice rapidly and continuously for about 3-5 minutes
10.Turn the heat to high and slowly add the chicken over the course of 30-60 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir the chicken for another 1-2 minutes and wait for the pot to boil
11. Once it starts boiling, add ginger strips and season with salt. Stir for about 20-30 seconds.
12. Season with white pepper and stir until well incorporated. Garnish with green onions. Enjoy!
Depending on your appliance, medium heat may not be hot enough so be sure to check the texture of the rice before whisking it. If the congee consistency is too thick, add boiling water (could use a kettle) during the whisking step.