A healthy vegetarian stir-fry.
- 1 cup rice, long grain
- 2 1/2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 package, 454g tofu, medium firm prepared with calcium sulfate, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 carrot, cut into thin strips
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
Cook the rice.
Whisk together hoisin sauce with lime juice.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the carrot, bell pepper, and ginger and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the tofu and bean sprouts. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are slightly tender, 3 to 4 minutes. For food safety, it is very important the bean sprouts are fully cooked.
Toss the vegetables with the hoisin sauce mixture and serve over rice.
Sprinkle with the scallions, peanuts, and cilantro, if desired.
Note- some Hoisin sauce has a potassium preservative in the list of ingredients, choose one without the additive!
- Calories: 319 KCal
- Protein: 19 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fibre: 4 g
- Total Fat: 12 g
- Sodium: 175 mg
- Phosphorus: 196 mg
- Potassium: 382 mg
Servings per recipe: 4
Serving size: 1/2 cup cooked rice with 1/4 tofu and vegetables
Renal exchange: 2 starch, 2 protein, 1 veg
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup