- Partially thaw the shrimp and fish if frozen.
- Cook the rice using the package directions but without adding salt.
- Melt the margarine in a large frying pan or pot, over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and green peppers to the pan or pot and sauté until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomato, vegetable broth, paprika, sugar, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and bay leaf to the pan or pot. Mix well, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cut the cod or snapper into bite-sized chunks. Then add the fish and shrimp to the sauce. Cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp turns pink and the fish flakes easily.
- In a small cup, mix the cornstarch and water, then add the liquid to the sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Season the sauce with black pepper to taste.
- Remove the bay leaf. Serve over the cooked rice and garnish with chopped parsley.