- Add all ingredients to a large pot and leave overnight to soak, covered with a lid.
- The next day, bring the berry mixture to a boil for 10 minutes
- Remove spice ball
- Reduce heat to a simmer and leave on heat, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- While berry mixture is simmering sterilize the jars and lids in a pot of boiling water. Check out https://www.bernardin.ca/intro.htm for canning information.
- Use tongs to remove hot jars and lids from hot water. To ensure a good seal, keep the jars hot by removing them from the hot water, one at a time, when filling.
- Pour berry mixture into sterilized jars and fasten on the lids (always use new lids). Seal by boiling in an inch of water for 10 minutes.
- This recipe takes patience, and cooks slowly, so stir often.
For a milder taste, use half the amount of pickling spice.