Try this fresh version of the traditional kabob during this year’s BBQ season.
- 1 lb (454 g) Canadian Pork Loin or Shoulder Blade Roast or Chops, boneless, well trimmed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) honey
- 1 medium pear, cut in 4 wedges
- 1 medium red onion, cut in 8 wedges
- 1 sweet red or green pepper, cut into 1″/2.5 cm pieces
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
If using bamboo skewers, presoak in water 1 hour. Place pork cubes in a resealable plastic bag, non-metal bowl or sealable container. In a separate bowl, combine apple juice, Dijon mustard, and honey and pour over pork. Seal or cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours.
Remove pork from marinade, reserving marinade in a small saucepan. Bring marinade to a boil and boil for at least 1 minute. Thread pork onto skewers, alternating with pieces of pear, red onion, green or red peppers and zucchini.
Preheat barbecue on high; reduce heat to medium. Place kabobs on lightly oiled grill and brush with marinade; close barbecue cover and grill over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally and basting with apple juice marinade. Serve with rice.
- Calories: 312 KCal
- Protein: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fibre: 0.2 g
- Total Fat: 17 g
- Sodium: 202 mg
- Phosphorus: 193 mg
- Potassium: 334 mg
Servings per recipe: 8
Serving size: 1/4 cup pork, 1/2 cup veg
2 protein, 1 veg
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup