This recipe came out of a lunch conversation when a colleague mentioned how Baba Ghanouj is a tasty snack and easy to prepare. Bonus – Eggplants are low in potassium!
- 1 large eggplant, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 head of garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- Lemon juice to taste
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the eggplant cut side down on the baking sheet. Roast until the flesh is very tender and pulls away easily from the skin, about 1 hour depending on the eggplant’s size. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the tips off the garlic cloves. Place the cloves in a square of aluminum foil. Fold up the edges of the foil and crimp together to form a tightly sealed packet. Roast alongside the eggplant until tender, about 20 minutes. Let cool. Purée the cloves by pressing them through a garlic press.
- With a spoon, scoop the flesh from the eggplant and place it in the bowl of a food processor. Add the garlic purée, oil and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Season with pepper.
- Serve with mini pitas.
- Calories: 51 KCal
- Protein: 1.0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.0 g
- Fibre: 2.4 g
- Total Fat: 3.6 g
- Sodium: 2 mg
- Phosphorus: 22 mg
- Potassium: 170 mg
Servings per recipe: 8
Serving size: 1/4 cup dip
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup