A member on kidney connect asked for more casserole recipes, here is one we modified from a martha stewart recipe. Let us know what you think!
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups no salt added chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ground pepper
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup chopped pepper (yellow, green or red)
- 4 cups cooked turkey, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 cups white bread, diced medium
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium pot, melt 1/4 cup canola oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook until slightly softened but not browned, about 7 minutes. Whisk in flour and continue to whisk 1 minute. Slowly add milk and chicken broth, whisking constantly until mixture is smooth. Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce comes to a simmer. Stir in curry powder and season to taste with pepper. Add broccoli and sweet pepper and cook just until beginning to soften, 5 minutes. Stir in cooked turkey. Transfer mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish.
2. In a small bowl, toss bread with remaining 2 tablespoons canola oil until coated. Top turkey mixture with bread and bake until sauce is bubbling and bread is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Calories: 380 KCal
- Protein: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fibre: 2 g
- Total Fat: 20 g
- Sodium: 113 mg
- Phosphorus: 227 mg
- Potassium: 472 mg
Servings per recipe: 8
Serving size: 1/8 of recipe, ~1 cup
3 protein, 1 starch, 1 vegetable
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup