One Pot Mediterranean Chicken & Pasta
This one pot, complete meal is incredibly easy and super flavourful. The recipe combination provides a moderate amount of pasta per person with lean chicken and a generous serving of vegetables; which is a good thing as many people tend to eat larger than wise portions of higher carbohydrate pasta.
Source: Reprinted with permission from chicken.ca
Renal Diet Nutrient Analysis
- Servings per recipe: 8
- Serving size: ½ cup cooked pasta, ½ cup veggies, ¼ chicken breast
- Calories: 245
- Protein: 21g
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fibre: 2g
- Total Fat: 4.4g
- Sodium: 84mg
- Phosphorus: 222mg
- Potassium: 436mg
Renal and Diabetic Exchanges
2 tomatoes, fresh, diced
1 sweet red pepper, medium, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (1 pound - 400 grams), cut into bite size pieces
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) basil, dried
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) oregano, leaf, dried
1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) rosemary, dried
1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper, freshly ground
2 1/2 cup (625 mL) chicken broth, low sodium
1/2 cup (125 mL) red or white wine (or substitute with more chicken broth)
2 cups (500 mL) pasta, dry
2 tsp (10 mL) cornstarch
3 tbsp (45 mL) parmesan cheese, shredded
2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped (optional garnish)
- Slice zucchini lengthwise and cut across into half moons. Cut tomatoes and red pepper into larger dice. Mince garlic. Set all aside.
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-size pieces (about 1 inch – 2.5 cm each.) Set aside.
- Add olive oil to a large pot set on medium high heat and heat for a minute or two. Add chicken and sauté for approximately 10 minutes until lightly browned. Stir occasionally.
- Add prepared zucchini, tomatoes, red peppers and garlic to the same pot. Sprinkle with basil, oregano, rosemary and black pepper. Stir and sauté 5-7 minutes over medium high heat until vegetables are just tender crisp. Leave in pot but remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring chicken broth and white wine to a boil in a separate pot over medium high heat. Stir in the pasta and use a spoon to push pasta down so it is submerged in the broth to ensure even cooking. Reduce heat to medium and cook according to package directions and until pasta is just al dente as it will be heated more in the next step. Stir during cooking to prevent pasta from sticking.
- Remove one cup (250 mL) of broth from the pasta pot to a medium bowl and set aside. Stir in cornstarch and whisk until no lumps remain.
- Add pasta with remaining liquid and cornstarch mixture to the chicken and vegetables. Stir and cook over medium heat a few minutes or until sauce thickens.
- To serve, sprinkle with shredded parmesan cheese. Garnish with chopped parsley (optional garnish).