This dish is great warm or cold, and makes excellent leftovers!
- 2 cups dried penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb raw chicken breast, cut into 3″” x 1″” inch strips
- ¼–½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 cherry or grape cherry tomatoes
- 3 green onions, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese
In large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions, without salt.
Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup of cooking water and set aside.
In large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat.
Add chicken strips and cook for 2–3 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to pan.
Stir in red pepper flakes, garlic, and tomatoes.
Cook for 3–4 minutes until tomatoes begin to burst and chicken is cooked through.
Add green onions and cooked penne to pan; cook for 1 minute.
Stir in basil and parmesan cheese. Add reserved pasta cooking water to reach desired consistency (You may not need all of it).
- Calories: 392 KCal
- Protein: 34 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fibre: 3 g
- Total Fat: 10 g
- Sodium: 137 mg
- Phosphorus: 335 mg
- Potassium: 639 mg
Servings per recipe: 4
Serving size: 1/4 of the recipe
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup