This recipe is from the new cookbook ‘Kidney Friendly Cooking’ produced by the Canadian Association of Nephrology Dietitians. The pilaf pairs well with chicken or pork.
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice, white, long grain, uncooked
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) margarine, non-hydrogenated
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 ¾ cup (425 mL) chicken broth, no salt added
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped
*For vegetarian rice pilaf use no salt added vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
1. In a pot over medium heat cook the rice, margarine and onion until the rice is a golden colour. Stir frequently.
2. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until rice until tender and fluffy (15 to 20 minutes).
4. Mix in parsley and serve.
Calories: 174 g
Protein: 3.0 g
Carbohydrates: 30.8 g
Fibre: 0.9 g
Total Fat: 4.2 g
Sodium: 77 mg
Phosphorus: 57 mg
Potassium: 105 mg
Servings per recipe: 6
Serving size: 1/2 cup (125 ml)