Preparation Time: 20 minutes ; Cooking Time: 50 minutes ; Servings: 6
- 3 large eggplants/aubergines, halved, cut side scored
- Cooking spray oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 400g canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- ½ lemon zested and juice
- ½ lemon cut into wedges to serve
- 3 tbsp polenta
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Spray the eggplant halves generously with oil, then put them cut-side up in a large roasting tin with the garlic, coriander and cumin seeds. Season, then roast for 40 mins until the eggplant is completely tender. Set aside to cool a little.
- Scoop the eggplant flesh into a bowl and discard the skins. Use a spatula to scrape the spices and garlic into the bowl. Add the chickpeas, chickpea flour, lemon zest and juice, roughly mash together and check the seasoning. Don’t worry if the mix is a bit soft as it will firm up in the fridge.
- Shape the mixture into 20 balls and put them on a baking tray lined with baking parchment, then leave to chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Tip the polenta onto a plate, roll the balls in it to coat, then return them to the tray and spray each one with a little oil. Roast for 20 mins until crisp, hot and golden. Serve with lemon wedges on the side. The recipe also pairs well with harissa yogurt dip.
Calories: 72 g
Protein: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Fibre: 4 g
Total Fat: 1 g
Sodium: 63 mg
Phosphorus: 36 mg
Potassium: 162 mg
Servings per recipe: 20
Serving size: 1/20
1 Protein, 2 Starch