1. Puree onion, ginger and garlic in blender.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil. Brown pureed mixture, cumin, cayenne pepper (optional) and garam masala.
3. Add tomatoes, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in yogurt and reduce heat to low, simmer for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Heat 1 tbsp oil, add chicken, cook until lightly browned.
Stir in a few spoonfuls of sauce, and simmer until liquid has reduced, and chicken is no longer pink. Stir cooked chicken into sauce. Add Cilantro.
6. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes on low heat. Stir occasionally.
Fragrant Basmati Rice
Heat oil in sauce pan. Add rice and spices and toast slightly. Add water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for approximately 15 minutes.