2 Eggs, large
½ tsp Olive Oil
1-50g package Basil, fresh (kale is another healthy and delicious option if basil is unavailable)
2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
½ tsp Sunflower seeds, unsalted
½ tsp Lemon juice
½ Lemon zest
2 Tbsp Bell peppers, red, diced
2 Tbsp Zucchini, diced
2 Tbsp Onions, Spanish, diced
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
½ tsp Garlic, fresh
- Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add eggs to dish. Add vegetables on top.
- Season with cayenne pepper.
- Bake at 375 degrees F, for 10-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make pesto: Place basil, olive oil, parmesan, sunflower, lemon juice and lemon zest in food processor and blend until purée forms.
- When baked eggs are out of the oven, place a dollop of pesto in the centre.
- Vegetables can be cut a day in advance to minimize prep time.
- The basil pesto can be pureed the day before and can keep in the fridge for three days.
- Kale may also be used instead of Basil.
- Instead of cayenne pepper, chili powder, or curry powder can be used.
- Calories: 308 KCal
- Protein: 20.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.3 g
- Fibre: 1.7 g
- Total Fat: 22.1 g
- Sodium: 295 mg
- Phosphorus: 332.76 mg
- Potassium: 409.68 mg
Servings per recipe: 1
Serving size: 1 full recipe
3 protein choices
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup