Summer zucchini “lasagna”
This reinvented lasagna turned out decadently light – perfect for a summer dinner – and the vegan cheese is surprisingly cheesy! It can be served as a side dish or as a main course.
Source: Caroline Lawrance, dietetic intern
Renal Diet Nutrient Analysis
- Servings per recipe: 6
- Serving size: 1/2 Cup
- Calories: 110
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fibre: 2g
- Total Fat: 8g
- Sodium: 170mg
- Phosphorus: 42mg
- Potassium: 230mg
Renal and Diabetic Exchanges
•¾ cup (6oz) shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (*choose a product with less than 250mg of sodium per serving that does not contain phosphate or potassium additives - the nutritional analysis for this recipe was completed using such a product)
•2 Tbsp (2 oz) parmesan cheese, grated
•2 Tbsp olive oil
•1 clove garlic, minced
•3 sprigs fresh thyme
•Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Wash and trim the zucchini, and cut into slices using a mandolin. Season with pepper and set aside.
- In a frying pan, heat olive oil. Add minced garlic and zucchini slices, and sauté for 4 minutes or until slightly softened.
- In a greased medium sized baking pan add 1 layer of zucchini slices. Top with a layer of shredded vegan cheese.
- Continue alternating layers of ingredients, ending with a top layer of zucchini slices woven into a criss-cross formation. Top with grated parmesan cheese and fresh thyme.
- Cook for 15 minutes on center rack, and broil on high until topping is golden brown.