This recipe is from the new cookbook 'Kidney Friendly Cooking' produced by the Canadian Association of Nephrology Dietitians. The pilaf pairs well with chicken or pork.
Source: Reprinted with permission from the Canadian Association of Nephrology Dietitians, photo credit BestPhotoStudio/depositphotos.com
Renal Diet Nutrient Analysis
- Servings per recipe: 6
- Serving size: 1/2 cup (125 ml)
- Calories: 174
- Protein: 3.0g
- Carbohydrates: 30.8g
- Fibre: 0.9g
- Total Fat: 4.2g
- Sodium: 77mg
- Phosphorus: 57mg
- Potassium: 105mg
Renal and Diabetic Exchanges
2 tbsp (30 mL) margarine, non-hydrogenated
1 medium onion, chopped
1 ¾ cup (425 mL) chicken broth, no salt added
2 tbsp (30 mL) parsley, fresh, chopped
*For vegetarian rice pilaf use no salt added vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
1. In a pot over medium heat cook the rice, margarine and onion until the rice is a golden colour. Stir frequently.
2. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer until rice until tender and fluffy (15 to 20 minutes).
4. Mix in parsley and serve.