Chocolate is a high phosphorous food but this recipe uses only a small amount. If using frozen zucchini, thaw first. To freeze, simply grate raw zucchini into bags and freeze in 2 cups (500 mL) portions.
- ½ cup (125 ml) margarine
- 1 ¾ cup (450 mL) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp (150 mL) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups (375 mL) white flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) cocoa
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 4 cups (1000 mL) zucchini, grated fresh or frozen
- ½ cup (125 mL) walnuts, chopped
- Cream margarine and sugar; add eggs and vanilla.
- Mix well. In a separate bowl, mix milk and lemon juice together and let sit for a few minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients: flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Fold flour mixture and milk mixture into creamed mixture alternatively.
- Fold in zucchini. Put in a 9” x 13” (23 cm x 33 cm) greased pan.
- Top with walnuts when out of the oven.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Best served thoroughly cold.
- Calories: 158 KCal
- Protein: 2.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fibre: 1 g
- Total Fat: 6.5 g
- Sodium: 115 mg
- Phosphorus: 45 mg
- Potassium: 109 mg
Servings per recipe: 24 slices
Serving size: 1 slice
1 1/2 starch
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup