A quick and easy comfort dish for a meal at home.
Preparation time: 15 minutes; Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup shitake mushrooms, washed, stemmed, and sliced
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms, washed, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup kale, washed, stemmed, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken (or turkey), chopped
- 2 cups no-salt added or homemade chicken stock
- 1/2 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup milk
1. Saute the onions and garlic together in a large skillet until they soften and the onions become translucent. Add the remaining vegetables and saute until they soften and the mushrooms start to brown.
2. Add the cooked chicken, chicken stock, and dry spices to the vegetable mixture and bring to a simmer.
3. In a separate container, combine the cornstarch and milk until smooth. Add to simmering stew and mix until thickened.
4. Once the stew has been thickened, it is ready to serve. Serve with rice or your favourite noodles.
Calories: 199 KCal
Protein: 25 g
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Fibre: 2 g
Total Fat: 6 g
Sodium: 94 mg
Phosphorus: 254 mg
Potassium: 500 mg
Servings per recipe: 4
Serving size: 1/4 of the recipe
Renal exchange: 3 protein, 1 vegetable