- 2 walleye fillets, 4 ounces (120 g) each
(Pickeral can be used as a substitute fish that is more readily available in a grocery stores).
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) basil or oregano or thyme, dried,
or 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh
- Zest of one lemon
Steps to fillet the fish:
- Cut behind the front fin towards the backbone.
- Once you hit the backbone, turn your knife towards the tail.
- Cut straight down the backbone to the tail.
- To remove the ribcage on the fillet, place your knife at the edge of the rib cage and slice about 1 inch deep.
- Slice down 1⁄8 th of an inch on the other side of the ribcage. Remove the ribcage.
- Remove any other bones.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Mix melted butter, minced garlic, pepper, herbs and lemon zest. Pour the mixture over the fillets.
3. Bake 15 minutes or until the fish is opaque.
- Calories: 109.3 KCal
- Protein: 15.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 1.4 g
- Fibre: 0.4 g
- Total Fat: 4.7 g
- Sodium: 134 mg
- Phosphorus: 170.93 mg
- Potassium: 317.75 mg
Servings per recipe: 2
Serving size: 1 - 4 oz (120 g) fillet
What is one exchange?
- 1 Protein Choice = 1oz of meat or 7g of dietary protein
- 1 Starch Choice = about 15g of carbohydrates
- 1 Fruit or Vegetable Choice = ½ cup
- 1 Milk Choice = ½ cup