Chicken and Rice Soup
This is a great and simple recipe that can be easily modified according to your palate. Homemade chicken and rice soup is a great alternative to packaged or canned soup that are loaded with salt.
Source: Caroline Lawrance as adapted from: www.kidneyhealth.ca
Renal Diet Nutrient Analysis
- Servings per recipe: 8
- Serving size:
- Calories: 160
- Protein: 14g
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fibre: 2g
- Total Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 221mg
- Phosphorus: 90mg
- Potassium: 251mg
Renal and Diabetic Exchanges
1 Carbohydrate choice
(1 Cup white onion, finely chopped
1 Cup celery, diced
1 Cup baby carrot, chopped)
•2 Tbsp Extra virgin oil
•¾ Cup instant white rice, uncooked
•½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
•4 fresh thyme sprigs
•1 bay leaf
•10 cups No salt added chicken/vegetable broth
•2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
•2 Tbsp lime juice
1. In a large pot, sautee onion, carrot, and celery in olive oil until softened
2. Add stock, rice, bay leaf, fresh thyme, and pepper. Bring to a boil
3. Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add cubed and cooked chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Remove bay leaf and add lime juice.