How to Cook an Oven Roast
Renal Diet Nutrient Analysis
- Servings per recipe: 1
- Serving size: 125 mL (1/2 cup)
- Calories: 122
- Protein: 23g
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fibre: 0g
- Total Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 46mg
- Phosphorus: 154mg
- Potassium: 241mg
Renal and Diabetic Exchanges
Roast beef sandwich:
Grilled Beef Steak Sandwich with Melted Onions
Roasting Right: Low and slow’s the way to go. Roasting beef at 275°F (140°C) makes for the most tender juicy roast beef. Follow these simple steps:
1. Season 2 lb roast. You can season with pepper, minced garlic, rosemary or thyme. Place in shallow roasting pan without water and lid/cover. Insert an oven-safe meat thermometer into the centre of roast, avoiding fat or bone.
note- buying an inexpensive oven thermometer is key to preparing a tasty roast. An oven thermometer costs about $14 at Loblaws, Home Hardware, or Cnd Tire.
2. Oven-sear seasoned roast in preheated 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to 275°F (140°C); roast to desired doneness, when the meat is between 145° and 170°F, it’s done. If you like your roast medium-rare, aim for 145°F. If you like it well-done, shoot for closer to 165° and 170°F. It will take between 1hr45min (med-rare to 2hr30min well-done) until done. Remove from oven when 5°F (3°C) below finished temperatures.
4. Remove from oven, cover loosely with foil and let rest at least 15 minutes until temperature rises by at least 5°F (3°C) before carving into thin slices.
Estimated Cook Times (hours):
weight (lb) Medium-Rare (145°F) Well-Done (160°F)
2 1hr45min to 2hrs15min 2hrs to 2hrs30min
3 2hrs to 2hrs30min 2hrs15min to 2hrs45min
4 2hrs15min to 2hrs45min 2hrs30min to 3hrs
How to Cook an Oven Roast,